Thursday, November 10, 2011

Art bookbinding

Good evening!

In a completely different order of artwork, I'm so proud to show you my first leather bound restored book...
It's is an history book relating to the first school of graphic art  in America.



Hand made paper for covering and ending pages.



When the preserving box is finished (yes, yes I'm working on it) the book will be showed permanently at the " Le petit musée de l'impression  " in Old Montréal. I took this very seriously (I'm always serious LOL); our friend is the one of the administrator of this museum. 


I hope you can see the detail of the " Gutenberg "
cut out.


And the gold lettering.



It is also an important part of restoration to keep the original spine and cover
 (if it is in good condition).

Restoration of book is a passion, but very delicate and detailed work... I don't think can do dozen of those in a year... but when done it is soooooooo rewarding to hold this artwork in your hands and think that because of you it will last for another 100 years at least!!!


2 comments:

Passionforstamping said...

This is gorgeous, Francine. You must be very proud of yourself.

Anonymous said...

Francine: That is truly a work of art and how special it is that it will be preserved in a museum for all to see and marvel over.